Focus of EE
- Awareness and sensitivity about the environment and environmental challenges
- Knowledge and understanding about the environment and environmental challenges
- Attitude concern for the environment and help to maintain environmental quality
- Skills to mitigate the environmental problems
- Participation for exercising existing knowledge and environmental related programs
Modern environmental education in the United States
Antecedents in the
- Outdoor education means learning "in" and "for" the outdoors. It is a means of curriculum extension and enrichment through outdoor experiences." (Hammerman, 1980, p. 33) Environmental education is often taught or enhanced through outdoor experiences. The out of doors experience, while not strictly environmental in nature, often contain elements of teaching about the environment.
- Experiential education is a process through which a learner constructs knowledge, skill, and value from direct experiences" (AEE, 2002, p. 5) Experiential education can be viewed as both a process and method to deliver the ideas and skills associated with environmental education.